Sunday, October 18, 2009

Expectations or just plain scared?

A blog....

I have always thought of starting an Oilers blog but I really do not consider myself a great writer... nor funny... and don't tell great stories...but what the hell. I am not a great follower of advanced stats but have loved the game since as early I can remember.

My blog will just give opinions on some of the issues that Oiler fans are talking about and other things that might hit my fancy. I will leave the advanced stats for the other Bloggers who truly do a masterful job of covering them. I want to give a thank you to Lowetide, who a long time ago said that I could write a blog and would when I was ready. Lowetide, I am not sure if I am ready but here it goes -

My first topic: Expectations.

Perhaps, expectations is not really the right word; let me first give credit to a really good news article this morning.

Terry Jones has this in the Edmonton Sun - http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/columnists/terry_jones/2009/10/18/11440881-sun.html

I think this article is a good basis for what has been in the back of my mind since the season started.

Do we truly get excited about the Oilers start? I believe the answer for myself and the majority of Oiler fans is NO!

Even if their were not warning signs, Shot discrepancies, a lot of time in our own zone, injury concerns, Hemsky and Horcoff seemingly off to slow starts we would still be apprehensive and for good reason....

Oilers nation has had so many bad things happen since that magical carpet ride thriller playoff ride. The Pronger baby bed burning fiasco, The Heatley just let me wait to make decision - but it won't be Edmonton Saga, The Nylander wife cold shoulder (ok perhaps that one didn't turn out so bad but I digress) and of course, we haven't seen a playoff performance since that magical ride, so I think the general pall of negativity can be forgiven and understood.

But alas there have been positive signs, Penners fast rise from the crypt, Comrie getting his career back on track, Brule showing the promise of his draft year, balanced scoring, winning despite not completely playing to Quinn's system - but will those last?

Oops.....I guess I am a true Oiler fan after all. For better or worse this season I will wait to see what we can expect from my team (our team) and will hope that this start will not be a mirage but a harbinger of things to come.

So Oiler fans grab a beverage and hang on for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment