Saturday, October 24, 2009

Passion, Hockey...What drives us?

My niece asked me an innocent question last week.

Why do you like hockey so much? I tried to answer her but I was unable to come up with an answer, she might as well have asked me why I like to breathe so much?

I tried to remember where and why my love of hockey started, but it was love at first sight. My father was watching a game and I sat down to watch it with him. I must have been 2 or 3 and I was instantly transfixed. Then I got the hockey stick and the skates and instant love affair turned into a passion. My story is similar to many other Canadian children, perhaps the only difference is that I am female...though that part is not as unusual anymore either.

The passion for the Oilers is almost as old except that the Edmonton Oilers did not exist so I started my NHL fanhood as being a Montreal fan because I thought Montreal was closer to Edmonton. Oops I was or three....what can I say? Geography wasn't my strong point. But as soon as the Oilers entered the NHL, that was it I was hooked. Oiler fan for Life!

As I examined my fanhood, I thought of the passion of Oilersnation. Most of us live and breathe hockey and the Oilers. We don't always agree on what ails the Oilers, why they are playing well, who they should trade, who they should keep, who they should draft. In fact we are one huge disfunctional family, but we stand together because we do have one thing in common. We love our hockey and our Oilers and perhaps for many of us, that order would be reversed.

We come to Oilersnation because we have a found a place (whether it be a blog we enjoy, a message board, a sports talk show) that we can discuss the Oilers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It feeds our insatiable thirst and hunger for anything Oiler.

During Hockey season, There are game days and waiting for game days. Tonight is game day and we hope our team can douse the team to the South of us.. Man we hate them (oh oh that would be a whole other blog)

Its game day Oilersnation!! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment